Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Safe and Supporting Conditions in Online Classes

One of our assignments called for us to list three things that were important to us as learners in online courses and safe and supporting conditions stood out most to me. I think all learners (as evidenced by many of my classmates' responses) list this as an important factor in online courses. It's also a component of facilitating learning. Instructors must create a safe environment so that students are encouraged to express themselves freely. I must say that each of my online courses have enabled me to freely express my ideas on topics even if my ideas/comments were not favored by all. Yet it leaves me wondering if creating a safe and supporting environment really aid in participation. Yes, there are many other factors that facilitate learning but as I previously stated, this stood out for me.

In a sense this ties back to my post about virtual communities. In each of my classes there has been a sense of community as well as safe and supporting conditions yet neither of these are what compels me to participate. Maybe, unconsciously. It's like I know there is a sense of community and that it's safe yet something still holds me back. What I have learned is that it is not an effect of distance education as I hinted towards a few posts back as I've experienced this same thing in face-to-face classes. Which of course leads back to it being something within me. I get so afraid of rejection that I hold back. And it's so frustrating because I KNOW I have so much potential. If my classes provide a safe and supporting community, why am I holding myself back. What am I afraid of???

No comments:

Post a Comment