Saturday, December 4, 2010

Online Courses

In Module 3 we had a visiting expert, Greville Rumble. In one of the earlier discussions with him, the speculations as to why students tend to drop out of online courses came about and I found this rather interesting. I have personal experience in this matter and would like to reflect on that. A family member of mine decided to return to school for an undergraduate degree and attending online was the chosen method of attending. Before enrolling I explained that online classes are not easier than traditional classes, in fact it may be harder.

I also explained that taking classes online require a great amount of motivation, independence, and sacrifice. Off course that went in one ear and out the other and now not even done with the first semester it does not seem likely that they will continue on.

It was always struck me as weird that many people don't take distance education seriously. Even in the working industry there are still people who frown their noses at potential employees who have received their degree online. Why is this when an online program can be just as rigorous, if not more so, than a traditional program? I have attended both a traditional program and an online program and both were a great experience. For me, the only difference was the sense of community at the traditional institution and quicker access to a variety of sources. But as far as the level of education I received, I believe they were both equal. I put in more effort into my online program than I did my traditional program but this could have been due to my having a different focus, being older.

Due to many people underestimating the time and quality of distance education courses, there appears to be a student retention problem. Many students are opting to not finish their programs. This may not all be due to students not taking online courses seriously, life changes could also be the result. But it is in my opinion that student motivation ranks high in why the drop out rates are high.

No comments:

Post a Comment