Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Overview of Module 1

I thoroughly enjoyed Module 1. It opened my eyes to view education differently. I've only viewed education as a means to advance your knowledge and increase the chances of obtaining a higher income. I've never really had to view education in aspect to the cost of higher education. When you begin to look at it from that viewpoint, ideas you once had may begin to form into something different.

For example, is education for everyone? Not all individuals will benefit from higher education as it appears that only particular studies have the chance to give individuals higher income which in turn is supposed to help boost productivity. That's not to say individuals shouldn't pursue higher education, because for those who pursue less than favorable studies (ones with lower incomes such as liberal arts) can still have a boost in productivity just from the mere fact that they're more motivated maybe because they have a passion for what they do. And in that sense, having passion for what you're doing without higher education can also lead to higher productivity.

This module helped me to see how education ties into economic growth and productivity. When I thought of higher incomes as a result of obtaining advanced degrees, it was to provide a better life for my family. But I didn't see it as helping the economy, but now I do and it's very interesting seeing it from this viewpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment